The Chemex is great for brewing smaller amounts of coffee. Our preferred ratio is 15:1 water to coffee, but you can always adjust depending on your taste. For this guide, let's brew two cups. If you're starting with whole beans, grind to about the coarseness of sea salt. See the gallery below for further clarification.
- Fold your Chemex filter paper according to the directions. Be sure the triple fold section lays flat across the pour spout.
- After heating water to near boiling, pour hot water from the kettle through the filter paper. Be sure to fully saturate the sides up to the glass brim. This flushes out any paper taste and heats the carafe. Discard this water but leave the filter in place.
- Pour the ground coffee in the center of the filter and shake to level.
- Place the Chemex on the scale and tare.
- Gently pour 80 grams of water over the coffee and allow to bloom (rise up, and level out) for about 30 seconds.
- Continue pouring water over the coffee in a gentle circle, adding 150 - 200 grams of water at a time. Let it percolate (but not completely drain) before beginning the next pour.
- Allow the water to completely drain, remove filter, pour, and enjoy.
- 40 grams coffee
- 600 ml (~20 oz.) water
- Chemex brewer
- Chemex filters
- Digital scale