The French press brews a full bodied cup of coffee. It comes in many different sizes and requires very little attention while brewing. Our preferred ratio is 13:1 water to coffee, but you can always adjust depending on your taste. For this guide, let's brew two cups (for a French press with <20 oz. volume, adjust accordingly). If you're starting with whole beans, grind coarse. See the gallery below for further clarification.
- Pour the ground coffee in French press. Place on the scale and tare.
- After heating water to near boiling, gently pour 92 grams of water over the coffee. Stir and allow to bloom (rise up, and level out) for about 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the water to the French press. Let steep for four minutes.
- After four minutes remove from scale, replace the top, and push the plunger down.
- Serve immediately and enjoy. Be sure to serve all of the coffee after brewing as keeping it in the pot too long will result in an unfavorable, over extracted taste.
- 46 grams coffee
- 600 ml (~20 oz.) water
- French press
- Digital scale